King Emperor George V and I,
Of different times and statures,
Yet, a unique strong bond unites,
We lunch, dine and go places, together,
No, not royally though, but ordinary,
Not just on his royal state matters,
In an aye or a nay, he wisely counsels,
Even on questions from my everyday mundane life.
His was a bequeath to downstream, grand as a kingdom,
A granddaughter now is a reigning queen,
Mine was an inheritance from upstream, a pass me down,
A grandson now carries proudly a vintage coin,
This vintage coin, the king and I, this is our rendezvous,
The house of Windsor knows us not, we the anonymous,
But generations of our family have sent them our hellos, just this way.
Minted circa 1919, this coin has ageless beauty and timeless charm,
The majestic imperial crown of India securely resting on his head,
Never mind the majesty losing its subjects a quarter of century latter,
King George’s impressive portrait is on the obverse side of this relic,
And on its reverse is an imprint, “One Rupee”, the value of its coinage,
Coin Collecting, I am told, was once practiced only by kings and wealthy,
A king I can never hope to be; a “hobby of kings” is all my consolation for my vicarious self.
No comments:
Post a Comment