Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You and I – an ode to all my ex-colleagues and friends

You and I are removed from each other,
Yet, we go back a long time,
So, it’s a perfect time to ask...
What am I to you? What are you to me?
I may never know about the former,
But here today, I will attempt an account of the latter.

When merely seen by each other, we are just faces,
Faces cannot be forever in front of each other,
Out of sight, Out of mind,
And, a happy purge arrangement too...

Yet, we were not two commuters on a one-off tube ride,
Camouflaged amongst hundreds of faces every other ride,
Unspoken, unmet, who just blend in to the milieu,
And easily forgotten when stepped out at the next station...

Neither an old flame, nor the greatest love of life,
No, we definitely weren’t that to each other,
No, saintly revelations about worldly or spiritual matters either,
As we move on in life, things bygone recede,
So, nature should have had it easy to erase a face...

Yet, it comes back stronger now than ever before,
If I close my eyes, I can get a mental sketch of you,
You long stopped being just a name and a face,
I have memories and feelings of you.

There is no pining here to reopen and relive the past,
I think of you regularly, not often and actively – as in I miss you,
But in terms of what you haVe come to mean to me – as in I appreciate you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey ram, you cudnt have put it better. truly all the people we meet leave us with certain memories and feelings. i feel if we look deeper and more subtly we will see a great cosmic design, a tremendous intelligence, but totally purposeless, (purpose defined as trying to attain something or reach somewhere!) at work bringing about the smallest events in our life. most people call that impersonal intelligence god, we happen to call it sai baba. have a great day. hey wts your email id. i have lost your phone no too. my phone not working. please call or mail...

    ReplyDelete