I ventured to puzzle and dazzle my neighbour’s ten year old kid with a math question,
A visiting friend had forgotten my street number; I began setting up the problem for him,
But she remembered that the three numbers added to 10, and that the first 2 digits add up
To give the third digit; and further that the first digit was the smallest and an odd number,
So, riddle me dear, what is the street number of my house?
But my little neighbor had his repartee ready; how could your friend remember all those details,
And yet forget the actual number of your house? Stumped! With his rucksack full of agnostics,
I knew he could only climb very slowly up the mountain of mathematics; and so, I tried evangelizing,
I spoke for the compelling pursuit of mathematical problems offering mental absorption, peace of mind amid endless challenges, and a battle without conflict.
I paused then, for I realized that the toughest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment